CAPSULE celebrates the video creations of Canadian dance artists who in the last year, have produced short films as a way to sustain professional practice. CAPSULE offers a landing site for some of these works to converge, specifically, videos created between March 2020 – March 2021, a CAPSULE of time that saw many new tentacles of digital dance creation.
Even if you have already shown or plan to show your dance video elsewhere, CAPSULE is an opportunity for your work to be in conversation with the work of colleagues from across the country, and by extension audiences, via a dance video hub hosted on the website of the National Arts Centre. In addition to the reach that NAC Dance offers, the intent is to build a dissemination engine, powered by the collective presence of Canadian dance artists.
CAPSULE will exist on the NAC’s website from May 3 – August 31, 2021. Viewers might visit to watch a video made by an artist who lives on the East Coast and find themselves travelling across the country to be introduced to digital creations of many other dance artists, an eclectic array of work produced in a focused CAPSULE of time.
CAPSULE welcomes submissions from professional Canadian dance artists of all backgrounds who work in all dance genres. A maximum of 60 videos will be selected and artists will be paid a screening fee of $200. If you would like to share your video via CAPSULE, please respond to this call by March 5th, 2021 – 17:00 EST. You will be notified about selection results by email on March 26th, 2021. Please refer to the criteria below before submitting your application.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to seeing and sharing your work!
• CAPSULE will consider 1 video submission per artist;
• CAPSULE will consider work created between March 2020 – March 2021;
• CAPSULE will consider original content made explicitly for film/video;
• Videos of documented live performance will NOT be considered;
• Content that promotes intolerance or hatred will not be considered;
• Artists must own copyrights to music, sound score, spoken or written text of video;
• Videos must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes in duration – including titles and credits.
Once your video has been selected, you will be asked to submit the following by April 5th, 2021:
1. Video Link and embed code;
2. 1 high resolution still image that represents your video;
3. 50 word description of your video;
4. Credits for all collaborators and funding partners;
5. Information for online payment.
If you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org